Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cesaria Evora

I was saddened when i received a press release at the office yesterday talking about Cesaria Evora cancelling her upcoming shows and at the same time putting an end to her musical career due to weakening health.

In my teens, I listened to the Cape Verdean folk singer since I discovered the popular song Sodade , which made her famous. I loved the song without knowing what it meant at that time.


So this post is a kind of a tribute to her career. She was original, always bared footed, lots of rings and long nails always well polished. I have never seen her with anything other than long skirts, lol.

I am posting a video of her with one of the best voices in Africa, Bonga from Angola. I have always loved his powerful voice with a raspy tone, it gives me goose bumps wow.



"Sodade" lyrics are below with translation from lyricstranslate.com.

"Sodade"

Quem mostra' bo / Who will show you...
Ess caminho longe?/ this distant way?
Quem mostra' bo / Who will show you...
Ess caminho longe?/ this distant way?
Ess caminho / This way ...
Pa Sao Tomé / to Sao Tomé?

Sodade sodade / The longing, the longing,...
Sodade / The longing
Dess nha terra Sao Nicolau/ For this land of mine, Sao Nicolau

Si bo 'screve' me / If you write me letter,...
'M ta 'screve be / I will write you back
Si bo 'squece me / If you forget me,...
'M ta 'squece be /I will forget you...
Até dia / Until the day...
Qui bo voltà / You come back

Sodade sodade / The longing, the longing,...
Sodad e/ The longing
Dess nha terra Sao Nicolau / For this land of mine, Sao Nicolau

No comments: